Sunday, July 18, 2010

September 2010 weekend workshop


I taught a workshop on Sept 17-18 using a pattern from the Spring/ Summer 2010 issue of Quilt Sampler called Lake Cabins.  It combines log cabin blocks and Bear Paw design.  Those attending can do the basic pattern or take on a challenge modification.

The challenge was to create a centerpiece or use something you've already created and build the blocks around it. Because the finished blocks are each 12.5" square, the center panel needs to fit into multiples of that. If it's square then 24.5" X 24.5" or on mine it's 24.5" X 36.5".

This Batik print is the one I'm going to use. I bought in Mexico 12 years ago and have been waiting for just the right pattern to incorporate it. I think this will work. I will do 5 rows of blocks instead of four, replacing the center six blocks with the Mayan print.

The challenge is to find or create a panel to use for the centerpiece on the quilt, if you wish to do so.  Even though the pattern calls for batiks, I'm only using part batiks, as I'm committed to downsizing my stash.  Choose fabric that goes with your center art piece.  I'll be e-mailing this information to our Blanding guild members, Ganado sewers, and others who might like to attend.  We will work Friday evening, and Sat. as long as people want to stay.  All pattern pieces must be cut out ahead of time, and the panel must be sized up to fit into the  24.5 X 24.5 or 24.5 X 36.5 inch space in the center.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Janet I love you blog, it has been fun reading and looking at all of the things that happen in your life.

Cathy