Friday, October 1, 2010
Lone Star Eagle project
Since he hadn't begun his final project, I let the Eagle "nest" for about 6 months, before I worked on it again, as I wanted to make sure he was serious about earning it this year. Setting in the right angles and triangles around the eagle was also a little tricky, but not as bad as I had imagined. I had Cathy Cosby do the machine embroidery of his name.
Next I made a modified court house set which created a southwest design which I really liked. This went clear around the quilt. I hired Jeri Montella to quilt it, using a customized pattern of the scout motto, stars, and fleur de lis. On the outside border she alternated eagles with the scout symbol. I love how it turned out. It is bound with angled striped material matching the main colors. The total cost of fabric and quilting was around $300, in addition to the 90 hours of labor.
I had not decided on the backing for the quilt, and started looking through my stash. After checking the cupboards and not finding anything quite right, I went to open the lid of the wooden chest on th back porch, as I moved the sacks off the top, I noticed an envelope had slid down the side be the check and my sewing cabinet...IT WAS THE LOST MONEY ENVELOPE. BOY, THAT PRAYER WAS ANSWERED QUICKLY. I WAS SO THANKFUL, I HAD DECIDED TO CALM DOWN, PRAY, AND SWITCH JOBS!!